Happy Monday! Now that the scourge of relaxing is over, you have worked up an appetite and are ready to eat at days end. Do stop by QuickFill Propane to refill your propane gas tank to 20 lbs. for only $11.92. Why refill? You get more gas (20 lbs. vs 15 lbs. exchange) and refill is less expensive. ($11.92 vs 15.99 and up)
Don’t run out of gas!
Todays grillable YUM is a Veggie Panin.
An Italian panino is a quick and easy lunch that is eaten all over Italy. We’re going to jazz ours up with our sundried-tomato pesto. With the roasted veggies already made, this is a super easy dinner to execute.
Smarts: You don’t need a panini press. Just place your sandwiches between two sheet pans and weigh the top sheet pan down with something heavy to get a similar effect.
- Garlic – 1 clove, minced
- Shallots – 1 Tbsp, diced
- Radicchio – 1/2 head, sliced or torn
- Balsamic vinegar – 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Brown sugar – 1 1/2 tsp
- Cooking oil – 3 Tbsp
- Mixed greens – 4 oz
- Fresh mozzarella – 8 oz
- Ciabatta roll – 1 ((Or get enough sandwich rolls for the amount of servings you’re making))
- Leftover sundried tomato pesto – 1/2 cup
- Leftover roasted veggies – made from Tuesday night
- Radicchio – Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Mozzarella – Slice into ¼” (0.6 cm) thick slices. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Assemble sandwiches – Slice open bread. Assemble sandwiches – our preference for maximum flavor is to have pesto spread on both slices of bread and then sandwiching roasted veggies and cheese.
- Heat oven to 375F (191C) degrees. Brush outside of sandwich with some oil if desired.
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper or foil. Place assembled sandwiches on sheet pan and place another sheet pan on top of the sandwiches. Place something heavy, like a Dutch oven or a brick on top sheet pan to press sandwiches (this is the poor man’s panini-maker!). Bake for 10 to 12 minutes until cheese is melty and everything is warmed through.
- While paninis are baking, whisk together balsamic vinaigrette if not made from Monday. Mince garlic and dice shallots. Combine garlic and shallots with balsamic vinegar and brown sugar. Whisk in cooking oil, and then season to taste with salt and pepper.
- When sandwiches are ready, toss balsamic vinaigrette with radicchio and mixed greens. Enjoy with warm paninis.