Great time to get together with family and friends. Not to mention the Indy 500. Best of all is the great food! I can’t wait to cookout! How about the Ultimate Burger? The Ultimate Burger For the ultimate burger that delivers delicious flavor in every bite, fire up the grill (shop some of our favorite fire pits and grilling tools) and follow these basic steps.
- 2 1/2 pounds skirt steak or sirloin flap steak
- Accompaniments: homemade burger buns ; homemade ketchup ; homemade mustard ; homemade pickle relish ; lettuce and tomato
- Cut steak into 1 1/2-inch pieces and season with 11/2 teaspoon salt. Chill in a sealable bag 4 to 6 hours.
- Rinse steak under cold water, then pat dry. Grind using a meat grinder with a 3/8-or 1/4-inch die or finely chop in a food processor. Form into 6 balls and flatten into patties about 1 inch thick and 4 inches in diameter. Chill until ready to grill.
- Prepare grill for direct-heat cooking over medium-hot charcoal (medium-high heat for gas); see Grilling Procedure .
- Season burgers with 1/4 teaspoon pepper (total). Lightly oil grill rack. Grill burgers, covered only if using a gas grill, turning once, about 5 minutes total for rare or 6 minutes for medium-rare. (Burgers will continue to cook slightly once removed from grill.)